Improv for Leadership
Because YES is more fun than NO
When you ask people what they think of when they hear the word “Improvisation” or “Improv” – the usual responses are: “Spontaneous”, “Witty”, “Winging it”, “Creative” or “Hilarious.” This is perhaps because Improv as a topic in popular culture became famous because of the TV show, “Whose line is it anyway?”
Improvisation and comedy are not synonymous. Comedy is just one of the byproducts and benefits of improvisation. Mostly Improv is a device for expanding comfort zones, learning new competencies, and actively looking for and creating opportunities. It is such a relief for most participants when they realize that they don’t have to be a funny person to improvise! Yes, anyone can improvise and everyone can learn it too!
Why is Improv a particularly good tool for leaders to learn?
• The culture of Improv helps create a safe place for leaders to energize, collaborate and produce innovations in a meaningful and permanent way for themselves, their teams and the larger organization
• It helps leaders understand how they can express themselves, relate with others and cope with daily conversations with team members in an enabling manner
• Improv encourages productivity and creativity by increasing the quantity and quality of authentic relationships.
• It helps leaders to create a less stressful environment and encourages a playful atmosphere. Happy people are more productive people.
• In times of change, Improv equips people to enter into the unknown equipped with tools to help deal with the denial, anger, frustration and apathy that happens at such times.
FocusU brings this engaging science of Improv to a workshop scenario in a safe, fun manner that encourages participants to suspend judgements, jump in as fast as possible, support each other and explore new boundaries.
The workshop, which is setup as a series of experiential activities brings alive the different rules of Improv to participants in a fun, engaging and participative process. Each person is nudged to be a “cheerleader” in this session, supporting themselves and others both verbally and non-verbally. Participants are told their job in each exercise is to make their partner look good. The activities are sequenced in a manner that it gradually pushes participants out of their comfort zones. By creating an atmosphere of unconditional support, non-judgmental learning and fun Facilitators help participants in traversing this journey smoothly. Through the Improv for Leadership workshop, you will:
• Understand self and others better
• Learn to communicate in a constructive way that encourages win-win
• Learn how to fast forward collaboration in teams
• Learn how to discuss challenging issues and manage potential conflicts
• Learn how to handle ambiguous situations better
• Create a safe place for bold ideas to emerge
A few key parameters:
0.5 – 1 day
Where this can be run
Can be done
Is this workshop right for my team?
Managing an unpredictable environment is tough because most people are not well equipped for it. In a business environment that changes constantly, Improv provides the tools and skills to help people adapt successfully. The competencies that improvisation builds on help a team create productive environments, encourage curiosity and commitment.
Once leaders experience and develop the mechanical skills of Improv, it is impossible for them not to use them; being difficult, unreasonable, or uncollaborative no longer works. It gives leaders a language to maneuver around communication breakdowns and dialogue disasters. It also gives them a tool to create a new positive metaphor for their teams.
If you are looking at a refreshing new way to challenge your leaders and help them - FocusU invites you to explore The Improv for Leaders workshop!
Contact Us today - we will be glad to meet up and discuss the possibilities for your team!