“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
A motivated team is an asset to an organization. Teams with even the best skills can’t succeed if they are not motivated. It is an essential tool for teams to perform to their true potential. People who are motivated will work more positively, crib less about problems and be an asset to the team and the organization. For you, as a leader, it is imperative that your team has the spark that is essential to achieve the organizational goals.
Below are some tips that can help you keep your team inspired and motivated.
- Training and Coaching: Always create opportunities for training and development of your team, which can enhance their skills and help them stay motivated. Engage in team building activities from time to time so that there is less conflict in the team and employees are more focused towards their goals.
- Competitive remuneration: While pay and benefits may not always be the biggest motivators for employees, they certainly help. Always pay according to the worth of the employee. Never underpay them. The truth is that higher salaries act as an incentive for high productivity. When employees see that they are getting more than their friends and counterparts at other organizations, it gives them a boost, and they tend to work harder to demonstrate that they deserve that money.
- Clear and defined roles: Your employees should have clear roles and responsibilities. They should clearly know what they are supposed to do so that there is no conflict with other team members. It will help them stay motivated and will also lead to higher productivity and better team harmony.
- Be approachable and accessible: As a leader, you should always try to be easily accessible whenever your team needs you. Create an environment where there is open communication and people can talk about their concerns freely. It will create a positive outlook in the team and will increase their motivation level.
- Positive and happy environment: Try to create a positive environment in your office. The best performers should be recognized for their work and praised in front of the team members. If their work is being recognized, that will motivate them to work harder. It will also act motivation for the rest of the team to perform better and earn those rewards.
- Don’t give negative feedback: We all make mistakes. The key is to learn valuable lessons from those mistakes so that we don’t repeat them. When your team members commit some mistake or make some errors, don’t criticize them. Instead, offer them guidance and help, and encourage them to try again.
How do you motivate your team? Do write to us and share your motivational stories at email@example.com.
In case you want to deep dive and read more about leadership and related topics, check out our blogs here.