“I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.” -Pablo Picasso
What is Microlearning?
Images speak better than words. So here is a 2-minute lesson!
As Alvin Toffler put it, “The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.”
And yet, with ever reducing attention spans and a myriad distractions – how can learning be made more effective? Studies now say that regardless of how effective the Facilitator in a workshop is, the learning decay after the first 30 days of a workshop is nearly 80%. Unless a workshop intervention is immediately complemented by a micro-learning module that follows it, most of the money spent on the training is wasted.
It’s time to meet the learners where they are and how they want. We learn best through our own experiences and reflecting upon them. Through deliberate practice and applying learning to our work, we bring our learning to life. Hence, microlearning is a powerful form of learning that ensures learning effectiveness and ensures that the learning budget actually delivers the punch.
Image source - https://www.indegene.com/LifeSciences/Media/Training/spaced-learning1.png
At FocusU, we have combined our expertise in experiential learning with the power of microlearning. We now offer a mobile first, micro-learning solution designed specifically for behaviour change that delivers business impact. The solution is built based on the latest neuroscience research on how adult learning learn - not by passive listening but through application, reflection and peer-to-peer interaction. It meets the needs of the modern learner who wants to learn on demand, on the go – anytime, anywhere.
Our solution encourages bite sized content which is meaningful, engaging and easy to digest. Few of the features which make it effective are:
• Learning frequently without affecting learner productivity.
•‘Learning by doing’: Users are prompted to perform actions, resulting in deeper learning and better knowledge retention.
• On-going peer-to-peer collaboration and social learning through sharing, private and team messaging
• A dashboard that allows organizations to create customized learning journeys for various learner cohorts and track their progress.
• Gamification elements that include rewards, push notifications and leaderboards amongst others to help the learner complete the learning journey.
• The solution includes an in- built user analytics dashboard that enables the HR to track the real time progress of each learner. The solution also offers insights into key KPIs such as levels of learner engagement and confidence. The L&D Team & HR Partner can leverage the analytics to build more accountability and also enhance the quality of learning.
How can you integrate microlearning into your Learning & Development Strategy?