Women’s Day Celebration
Shouldn’t every day be one?
International Women's Day (IWD) is observed on March 8 every year. It is a focal point in the movement for women's rights. It’s a day when we recognise the amazing social, cultural, economic and political achievements of women - while also campaigning for greater progress and awareness towards gender equality.
"We cannot all succeed, when half of us are held back." - Malala Yousafzai
How can your organization make it a really special day for your women?
Here are ten ideas to get you going:
The campaign theme provides a unified direction to guide and galvanize continuous collective action. Gloria Steinem, world-renowned journalist once explained that "The story of women's struggle for equality belongs to no single feminist nor to any one organisation but to the collective efforts of all who care about human rights."
• Amplify your message through social media by posting your #IWD2020 message on social media with your "hands out" balance pose for a strong call-to-action for others to also help forge a #EachforEqual
• Download the #EachforEqual posters and ask colleagues to think about what progressive actions they can take. Write them on the posters, or add yellow sticky notes, listing tangible ideas and commitments
Here are a few things that you can organize without too much of external help:
• Profile some of your organisation’s amazing women on your website or intranet – through their compelling stories!
• List all the clichés about women – and bust them together!
• Have a film screening that busts more such myths – and talk about it
• Invite women speakers to deliver keynote speeches to your team
• Unlock the intelligence, passion, greatness of girls by Leymah Gbowee.
• The dangerous ways ads see women by Jean Kilbourne.
• The price of shame by Monica Lewinsky.
Little acts of kindness, little acts of love,
Go on to make the earth, like the heavens above
Send flowers, write a card, give a small gift, or take them out for lunch. It doesn’t matter if you’re a man or woman; we can all show our gratitude and love for the women around us.
If you want to help a worthy cause at the same time, these unique gift cards from Oxfam help to provide safe refuge for women fleeing from violence. (Unfortunately not available directly in India yet)
We could also help you craft a few bespoke interventions that help your team be inspired to join into this wonderful movement.
Here are 5 more ideas to get you started:
We love to put together bespoke work for our clients. So in case none of these ideas seemed exciting enough, but you have a half baked idea running in your head – do throw it at us and let us see what comes out of it!
Contact us today to make your Women’s Day meaningful!